Friday, March 27, 2009

Another Update!






I noticed it has been a long time since I posted anything! It has been harder to make time, but I had some on my lunch hour today. We are having a half-day today because of parent teacher conferences. Yesterday I gave two of the conferences on my own and today my teacher isn't here. So if any parents come in today I'm flying solo! It actually isn't has bad as I thought, because I know the kids so well. We had 6 parents last night, so hopefully we have more today. Last conferences we only had 8 total out of 16 students. The school tried many things to increase attendance such as food sales, activities, etc.
To update on what has happened the past month I've posted some pictures. I had the opportunity to go to a friend's family home and help with spring cleaning. We also rode horses out in the desert and a canyon looking for the cattle. It was the most amazing horse ride I've ever experienced. As you can see by the pictures I was very happy :) At the home we also made some traditional foods such as blue corn mush and mutton stew.
Over spring break I drove down to Albuquerque and picked up Tyler from the airport. We stayed in a cabin off the Turquoise Trail which is highway 14 that goes to Santa Fe. We toured Albuquerque, went to the petroglyph national park, the three volcanoes, and the nature center for bird watching. It was a fun filled week and it was wonderful to see family again. Albuquerque is a great city and the old part of town was beautiful. One day we took highway 14 and drove through old mining towns up to Santa Fe. It was gorgeous. All the buildings are made of adobe and have a very old Mexican style.
I am in the last month of student teaching now and the school is getting ready to take their standardized test called AIMS. My first graders do not take the test, but I will be helping in a third grade classroom to assist the teacher. They thought it would be a good experience and I am interested to see the test now that I am older. Perhaps I will have more to say about that later! We are also taking an end of the year field trip that will be exciting. The days are flying by and I will be sad to leave, but so happy to return home!! I love the children and people here, but the isolation and no close friends or family is a constant struggle. But I am thankful for all the family who has emailed me, or messaged me! It helps keep me going!!
Hopefully I will write back again before I leave!

No comments: