Friday, May 1, 2009

The End of an Amazing 4 months




The day has finally come, and faster than I would have liked. It is my last day of student teaching!! I am filled with a mixture of sadness and happiness today. This experience has changed me, my views, my attitude toward myself, and my dedication to teaching. I have made so many new friends and grown in my own ways. Everyday, even till the last day, I have learned something new about the Navajo culture and have enjoyed everyone teaching me. Last night I was very humbled and honored to receive a Pendelton Wool blanket from the Dorm staff here. They all pitched and felt that we deserved an honorable gift. Navajo people like to give the blanket as a present to give the person warmth, safety, and to remember who gave it to you. I will always think of everyone when I am wrapped in its warmth. I wanted to thank everyone who read this blog, and I hope you enjoyed it! Sorry I didn't write more, but they kept me busy :)
Hagoonee!! (See you later)

2 comments:

Jean said...

Alanna, this is a beautiful ending commentary for your student teaching at Shonto. May the blanket provide warmth on your journey forward and the kindness and teachings of your Navajo friends be with you always. Thank you for giving us this glimpse into your life at Shonto. It has been incredible.
Love from Maine - Judy and Jim

Anonymous said...

Alanna: The blanket is such a wonderful gift. I'm sure you will keep it your entire life. You also will carry with you the lessons you learned from the Navajo forever as well. Kennan and I were both strongly affected by our experiences in Africa and they helped make us who we are/were.

I loved seeing the pictures. You were in an incredibly beautiful part of our country. Love, A Libby