Monday, February 2, 2009

School out early today!

School was let out early today due to a water pipe break. They had to shut off the water which meant no bathrooms for the kiddies. I was excited, but also disappointed. My teacher was gone today and I was in charge of teaching. Since today was Groundhog's Day I had a book picked out and we were going to make shadows with the overhead projector. School was let out right after math and the student's specials so my activity didn't happen. Oh well that is what comes with teaching the plan never happens :)
Then today I ran outside with my students because there are some separate buildings for other activities. I usually let them run to the next building for some exercise and today I decided to run with them. I beat them all! And they were laughing so hard and having a great time trying to catch me. I love those moments in teaching. Also today I introduced the new writing journal, weather graph, tally chart, and calendar. It was a lot of new things, but my students did a great job. I think all of it will be very beneficial to them. We also introduced money which did not go over well. I started with pennies and nickels and told them all about it. We looked at what was on each coin, who the president was, etc. Then explained the value of the coins. But when it came to completing the worksheet they didn't understand that nickels need to be counted by 5's. So we will have to work on it a lot tomorrow. It will be harder because some students still can't count by 5's or 2's (yikes!).
Everything else is going great. We had a Super Bowl party last night that was a lot of fun. The kids ate all the snacks in 5 minutes and we even had fans for both teams. Most of them were for Arizona though. It was a great game! I was upset Arizona lost, but they played really well. Activities like that are good for the dorm students because sometimes they miss out on what other kids get to do who live at home.
Also this past weekend we went to Flagstaff to get my muffler fixed and look around. It was beautiful. All of a sudden it goes from desert to mountains. I took some pictures that I will post later on. It looked like the mountains were fake because they were so close and amazing :).

No comments: